CPCP bases its goals on the following values and assumptions:
- Each individual is important and unique.
- Each individual should have the freedom to develop naturally and to their full potential.
- Each individual should progress toward independence and self-direction.
- Each individual should have the opportunity to develop curiosity and expand their knowledge.
- The scientific study of child development provides important information for devising appropriate learning experiences.
- People should relate in caring ways to each other.